Thursday, August 9, 2007

Oi Vey!! What A Day I Had Today!

Well today was the first day of school and I was so looking forward to a whole day of doing what I wanted instead of doing what David wanted. I drove him to school this morning because I had to go with Daddy to drop his car off at the repair shop and then drive him to work. David normally takes the bus, but I figured since I was going to the same general area... what the heck. I would take him just this morning. The last thing I said to him as I dropped him off at school, after I told him I loved him and told him to have a good day, was "don't you dare call me to bring you something you have forgotten or something you simply must have". Silly me. So I get home with visions of sugar plums in my head.... ooops, wrong time of year. So I get home with visions of a day of no interruptions and a day to focus on whatever I want to do. Within 15 minutes of getting home I get a phone call from the school nurse telling me that they can not allow David into classes because he does not have his shot record on the standard blue sheet of paper and nothing that documents David having gotten the tetanus shot that was required. I knew he needed the shot and as usual waited until the last minute before school started to get him the shot. I hadn't been able to make an appointment with his doctor before school started, so our home teacher, the ER doctor gave it to him on Monday in the Dr. lounge but didn't have the paperwork to write on. Well I, being so wise in the ways of Alabama school regulations.... NOT... thought it was more important to actually get the shot than to document it right then. I figured I could get the proper paperwork later form whomever I had to. Anyway.... I had to go to our home teacher's house, wake him up to sign some papers, then spend 2 hours at the Public Health office waiting until everyone had been seen for WIC, Family Planning and whatever else they do there. It would have taken 3 minutes to fill out the form onto blue paper. To make matters worse, because as we all know, never never do things in a normal straightforward way with no problems, my right knee that had been bothering me for the last 3 or 4 days chose the time in the Health Dept. to go out completely. So now I'm paralyzed because no matter which way I move it's agony. And after I finally get the paper it takes me 10 minutes to walk to my car. I then drive to the school and pull up in front of the school and have spent the last 5 miles calling the school to have David come out to the car and get the paper so I don't have to get out of the car. The line is busy the whole time. I slowly get into the building and by the time I see David I am out of breath and tears are forming. I find him in of all places in the library being confined with all of the other kids who had dared not bring in there blue paper. You know how much I love bureaucracy. I completely understand the need to sequester those children because the floors of the school are covered in rusty nails and there is a real risk of a pandemic of Lock-Jaw in Enterprise.

I didn't get home until after lunch. Needless to say my visions of sugar plums were no where to be seen.

3 comments:

Dad_Ahroon said...

What she didn't tell you is that she called me at work to tell me I had to come home to either drive her to get the documents or to take me back to work and then she'd get the documents. I had to come home to get her the car. The car was in the driveway. Remember, she drove me to work.

Megan B said...

You certainly win for crappiest morning. :)

Heather B said...

Hands down, you win.