Saturday, October 20, 2007

Stay Off the Sidewalks

Well on Tuesday David got his driver's license. What a day. In Alabama they don't do road tests if it is raining. But of course I didn't know that. So we sat for hours hoping and praying that the rain would stop. After it finally stopped we had to wait for the roads to dry. I thought David was going to have a hemorrhage. But the rain finally stopped and the roads finally dried enough to take the test, then the computer went down. Oi Vey. I started to wonder if God was trying to tell me something. But by 11:30 he was a licensed driver. I know that every one of my children have had this time in their life and I know it well. But it never ceases to amaze me how many different urgent reasons there are in the first few days after a child gets his license to drive somewhere. Friends get stranded, teachers think of new supplies that are needed by the next morning, special food is craved, other friends are lonely or afraid and then there is the old stand by, "I just want to get out of the house". Daddy and I give grades as to the creativity of the reasons. We endure this for about 2 weeks until the newness and sheer joy of driving everywhere wears off, then crack down. It will be amazing how things will change from to fun to a chore when I ask for some driving done on my behalf. At least he won't have to pick up his little brother and take him anywhere.

1 comment:

Megan B said...

Frightening. You going to give him Matt's truck? :)